What to have when doing taxes

What to have when doing taxes?

Below is the list of information and documents you need to have when doing taxes. If you go to a tax preparer such as H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt or Liberty Tax Service, they will ask you to bring the following tax items. If you have not brought them then you cannot do your taxes.

Personal Data
  • social security numbers (for yourself, your spouse and your dependents)
  • birthdays (for yourself, your spouse and your dependents)
  • child care provider: name, address, tax ID number or social security number
  • alimony paid: social security number
Employment and income data
  • W-2 forms for this tax year
  • Unemployment compensation (Form 1099-G)
  • Miscellaneous income including rent (Form 1099-Misc)
  • Partnership, S Corporation & trust income (Schedule K-1)
  • Pensions and annuities (Form 1099-R)
  • Social security and RR1 benefits (Form RRB-1099 or SSA-1099)
  • Alimony received
  • Jury duty pay
  • Gambling and lottery winnings
  • prizes and awards
  • scholarships and fellowships
  • state and local income tax refunds (Form 1099-G)
Homeowner and Renter Data
  • Residential addresses for this year
  • Mortgage interest (Form 1098)
  • Sale of your home or other real estate (Form 1099-S)
  • Second mortgage interest paid
  • Real estate taxes paid
  • Rent paid during tax year
  • moving expenses
Financial assets
  • Auto loans and leases (account numbers and car value) if used for business
  • Student loan interest paid
  • Early withdrawal penalties on CDs and other time deposits

Tax Questions is a resource and information website only. We do not offer individual advice. For specific tax questions and answers, you are advised to consult your tax attorney.